- Dr. Sapna Sharma
- 24 April 2019
The Assam Rifles are one of the Paramilitary forces of India. Since its inception in 1835, over the course of its history, the Assam Rifles and its predecessor units have served in a number of roles, conflicts and theatres including World War I where they served in Europe and the Middle East, and World War II where they served mainly in Burma. In the post World War II period the Assam Rifles has expanded greatly as has its role. (Refer the link - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assam_Rifles)
Assam Rifles conduct counterinsurgency operations in the northeast and other areas where deemed necessary, under control of the army. During peace and ‘proxy war’, ensure the security of the Indo-China and Indo-Myanmar borders. During the war, rear area security in the TBA.
(Refer the link - assamrifles.gov.in/profile.aspx)
Entry: Recruitments for the Assam Rifles is done for various posts:
- Havildar (Clerks)
- Medical Officers and Specialist doctors
- Veterinary Doctors
For Constables & Clerks:
- Age Limit: Candidates age must be between 18 to 23 years as on 01-08-2013. Upper age is relaxable by 3 years to OBC and 5 years to SC/ST Candidates.
- Educational Qualifications: Candidates must possess Matriculation or 10th class pass from a recognized board/university.
For Technical Trades:
- Age Limit: Candidates age must be between 18 to 23 years as on 01-08-2012. Upper age is relaxable by 3 years to OBC and 5 years to SC/ST Candidates.
- Educational Qualifications: Candidates must possess Matric or 10th class pass with Diploma/ITI, English, Math & Science with Physics/ Biology, Graduation with Madhyama in Sanskrit or Bhusan in Hindi.
The recruitment rally consists of three stages:
I. Physical Efficiency Test (PET)
Note: No physical efficiency test will be conducted for Ex-servicemen.
- 5 KM Run. All male candidates have to successfully complete 5 KM run within 24 mins and for female candidates it shall be 1.6 KM (1600 M) within 8 mins 30 secs.
- Long Jump. Long Jump of 11 feet has to be cleared by the male candidates and for female candidates it shall be 9 feet. Each candidate will be given three chances.
- High Jump. High jump of three and a half feet (3.5 feet) has to be cleared by the male candidates while for female candidates it will be three feet. Each candidate will be given three chances.
II. Written Tests
- Written Test. Candidates who qualify in the PETs will be required to appear in a written test.
- The written test will consist of only OMR based objective type multiple choice questions
- Candidates applying under compassionate appointment scheme of the Government will not be required to appear in the written test. (Sons/ legally adopted son during the lifetime of the AR persons who have laid down their life during ops.)
III. Trade Test
- To be conducted for various trades.
- A practical test will be conducted for trade candidates appearing for enrollment.
- To qualify, the candidates will have to pass in the physical, medical and the written tests separately.
Career Advancement: A candidate has the opportunity to grow up till the level of Commandant while in service of Assam Rifles. Officers are appointed by direct appointment by the central Government from other armed forces.
- Director General (Army officer on deputation)
- Inspector General (Army officer on deputation)
- Deputy Inspector General (Army officer on deputation)
- 2IC (Second In Command)
- Deputy Commandant
- Assistant Commandant